Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fulfilling my dreams

I am now home from my first year at college and currently working two jobs, okay sometimes four if I have the time ha. I am a cashier at Kmart and a Bakery Clerk at Lee's Marketplace.  I work full time sometimes more than full time working fifty hours a week.  People think I'm crazy. And the truth is? I am.  I am crazy about one thing, earning the money to fulfill my dreams.  

Within the last couple of years I have gained a desire to learn how to speak Spanish.  I started to fulfill this passion by taking a couple classes in high school and learned the basics. However, that's all I did, was learn the basics.  I put it aside and moved away to college.  During that time away I had multiple experiences that only increased my desire to learn.  One of them being that one of my  room mates, Francisca was from Chile and as I watched her and became closer to her, my love for the culture and ultimately her, heightened. Another opportunity I had was to teach English via Skype twice a week to a BYUI pathway student in Mexico, her name was Laura Angelica Gutierrez Herrera.  She became not someone I was strictly teaching English too but a friend that we could openly bare testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. This brings me to my second dream, to serve a mission.  Everyone I say this to laughs and says that was my dream too.  I am fully aware that a full time mission maybe isn't a part of  God's plan for my life, but what does it hurt to save and prepare for one?  Because I know nothing better to help prepare someone to be a mother than prepare to teach the gospel to someone.  A mission is starting to feel possible and it makes me incredibly excited.  I turn 20 in December and a year from now could be sending my papers in to church headquarters.  

This brings me to why I am crazy busy working this fall.  I am saving and preparing to fulfill my dreams.  Now, wouldn't be great if I could serve a mission in a Spanish speaking country and then both would be fulfilled? Heck yeah! I know however, I want the Lord's will not mine as to where my service is needed.

So here's my hope: to learn Spanish by studying abroad and being fully immersed in a different culture as I learn about their lifestyle and language.  I am saving money in order to do this and plan to go through a program at USU.  
University I could potentially be studying at in Chile.  
I also am studying preach my gospel every night with my scriptures. What a power book that is :) I have come closer to my Savior as I have read it side by side with my scriptures.  I have also purchased a Spanish Book of Mormon and though I don't understand I am hoping that as I continue to compare words with my English copy that I can become better.  I have a goal to write my testimony in Spanish to my best friend Zakk Rhodes, who is currently serving a mission, before he comes home.  (I've got practically two years, no worries ha.)

I decided to stop dreaming and start fulfilling! What are your dreams? Take the steps in order to fulfill them and I promise that great things will come from them.  Whether or not they get completely fulfilled.  :) Thanks for stopping by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment